• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Installation & Deployment >> Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 5.Nov.2011 1:32:49 AM   
learnmsexchange

Hi-We are planning to migrate our current Exchange 2010 from physical to virtual machines (Hper-V). we have less than 500 mailboxes currently.

Can you please share your experience of deploying Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V. We are aware and confident of VMWare, but Hyper-V not so much sure..

Please share your opinion. thanks!!

http://www.learnmsexchange.com
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 28.Nov.2011 1:05:12 AM   
Scott Lowe

I've run a 1,500 mailbox shop on a single virtual machine under VMware. I know that you said that you're confident that VMware can do it and your question is about Hyper-V.

For 500 mailboxes, I can't imagine that Hyper-V wouldn't be up to the task as long as you spec the server and virtual machines appropriately. Don't skimp on the hardware and you'll be fine.

Scott

(in reply to learnmsexchange)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 28.Nov.2011 11:39:42 PM   
learnmsexchange

If Hyper-V can;t take the load of even 500 mailbox users, does it mean hyper-v is not meant for Production, but only for development. your thoughts?

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 28.Nov.2011 11:50:56 PM   
Scott Lowe

I wouldn't say that. Actually, Hyper-V can very, very easily support a 500 mailbox system as long as you don't underbuild the virtual machines. Follow MS specifications and make sure you assign enough RAM and disk resources to the service so that it runs well. Are you using a SAN of some kind? How much RAM is in your Hyper-V host?

Scott

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 28.Nov.2011 11:58:06 PM   
learnmsexchange

We have the sufficient SAN and RAM size has been not decided as of now. We are still gathering case studies or facts on hosting Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V. We are also going through with MS recommendations/specs. The idea to post this question on this forum was to collect suggestions/opinions of those already implemented this scenario. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 29.Nov.2011 11:49:51 PM   
Scott Lowe

Are you planning to implement Exchange 2010 on a single server with all roles or are you going to implement with high availability? That would mean multiple servers and DAGs... Just curious.

Scott

Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 29.Nov.2011 11:59:54 PM   
learnmsexchange

Yes, multiple servers and DAG.

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V - 30.Nov.2011 12:28:18 AM   
Scott Lowe

Do you mind if I ask a few more questions? I'm curious about your implementation...

* Will be be implementing Unified Messaging?
* How many Hyper-V hosts do you have?
* What kind of storage do you have?

Scott

Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Installation & Deployment >> Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!