• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

What's your storage?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General Virtualization Topics] >> Supporting Infrastructure >> What's your storage? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's your storage? - 21.Oct.2010 11:00:03 PM   
Scott Lowe

Storage is an absolutely essential part of any virtual environment? What do you use and how many VMs does it support?

For us, we're using an iSCSI EMC AX4 with three shelves of disks - 12 of the disks are SATA and 24 are SAS - and we currently run around 50 or so virtual machines on this SAN.

You?

Scott
Post #: 1
RE: What's your storage? - 23.Oct.2010 4:55:24 PM   
`ariel

We are running an EMC CX300 + DAE (30 disk in total) with only 4 VMs ATM.

Ariel Antigua
http://arielantigua.com/weblog/
http://twitter.com/aantigua

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 2
RE: What's your storage? - 25.Oct.2010 9:01:15 AM   
xuanxanh99

Thank you for taking your time to write this lenghty response. Appriciate it.
By port upgrade you mean like going from iSCSI to FC? And that only the netapp is capable of doing this without taking down the whole SAN?

< Message edited by xuanxanh99 -- 25.Oct.2010 9:05:20 AM >

Halong bay cruises-Mekong river tours-Vietnam adventure travel

(in reply to `ariel)
Post #: 3
RE: What's your storage? - 27.Oct.2010 8:34:08 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ariel -

How do you like the CX300? What else are you running on it?

We're getting close to, I think, needing to add some performance capacity to our AX4 and it might be time to begin considering a move to a different platform, but I'm not sure my budget can sustain it.

Scott

(in reply to `ariel)
Post #: 4
RE: What's your storage? - 5.Jan.2011 11:36:53 AM   
gbarnas

We originally built our VM environment as inexpensively as possible, first as a lab and then used for full production:
2 SuperMicro servers with dual quad-core 5400 series CPUs and 64G RAM and mirrored 72G SAS drives;
A 16-bay storage chassis with a Supermicro MB with an AMD 64-bit CPU and 4G RAM. It had a SAS Expander backplane and we used an Adaptec 4500 series SAS controller to connect to the backplane. It ran OpenFiler software and connected to an HP Gig switch for a dedicated iSCSI network. The storage system had four 140G SAS drives and eight 750G SATA drives.

This worked very well until we started to expand the infrastructure. We decided to replace everything with hardware from the VM HCL so we could obtain VM support, so last year we installed a pair of DL-380 G5's with dual quad-core CPUs and 32G RAM, and installed a Xyratex 4G FC SAN with an expansion shelf. We now use six 600G SAS and eighteen 750G SATA drives. A pair of Brocade FC switches provide multi-path connections between the san and VM hosts. Our physical servers for TMG firewalls and vCenter use single-path connections and boot from SAN.

We still use the OpenFiler storage system for our lab. It works fine, but we really needed to mirror the production environment at our clients to diagnose problems and involve VM support, which drove the migration away from OEM and home-brew equipment.

Glenn

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [General Virtualization Topics] >> Supporting Infrastructure >> What's your storage? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!