• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Backup & Recovery >> What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage - 13.Apr.2010 1:28:15 PM   
jharris

Interested in learning how iSCSI works? Do you need to make a decision about proposing or buying an IP SAN based solution? Join us on Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 at 10am PST to find the answers to these challenging questions. We will present an overview of the features associated with iSCSI storage as well as discuss the cost effective advantages of purchasing an IP SAN based solution. During the webinar, you’ll learn:
  • iSCSI Fundamentals
  • Key differences between Fibre Channel SAN and IP SAN
  • How to allocate the proper IP SAN storage space
  • Advantages/Disadvantages of single controller vs high availability implemenations
  • Benefits of IP SAN appliances
Post #: 1
RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage - 28.Apr.2010 12:45:09 AM   
plus2plus

I'm not familiar with iSCSI, I know it's build in Windows Vista. The thing I want to do is to make my NAS to a iSCSI target, in the NAS I will make a partition (or some partitions) and present it to the iSCSI indikators.

My iSCSI indicators will be VMware ESX 3 server(s). The indicators will then look like a HBA to my servers and present at HD LUN.

I had been using freeNAS to do this in the parst and it did work well.
So I was thinking it may be posselbly to use the NAS-4220 in the same way.

[ Desktop Virtualization ] [ Application Streaming ]

(in reply to jharris)
Post #: 2
RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage - 1.Jul.2010 2:11:47 AM   
Scott Lowe

What kind of NAS device are you using?

(in reply to plus2plus)
Post #: 3
RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage - 1.Jul.2010 3:09:28 AM   
Scott Lowe

Also, iSCSI is not a Windows Vista technology, although Microsoft does support iSCSI in both Windows Vista and Windows 7.  iSCSI is basically a storage transport protocol like Fibre Channel, except simpler to deploy and it doesn't scale quite as well as Fibre Channel.

(in reply to plus2plus)
Post #: 4
RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage - 1.Jul.2010 11:37:09 AM   
`ariel

Since a few days i`m thinking of building a iSCSI for my little VMware lab (2 boxes) and i think that a comparative table of the top NAS OpenSource software available would  be cool. there are a few good articles about FreeNAS and OpenFiler but waht about Nexenta ? and a few others...

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 5
RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage - 31.Jul.2011 6:15:29 PM   
Scott Lowe

I know this is an older post, but if you're still looking at ways to use iSCSI in a home lab, make sure to check out Microsoft's free iSCSI target software. The target complements the initiator by creating a virtual device to which the initiator can connect. We're actually using Microsoft's target for our Veeam backup at work. I like to keep my disk-based backup in a different building on campus, so we have a server in another building and connect the Veeam server to it over iSCSI. The Veeam server sits in the data center with a direct Fibre Channel connection to the SAN< but the Veeam backups are written over iSCSI to the target location.

Scott

(in reply to `ariel)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Backup & Recovery >> What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!