• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Enabling VSS to protect VMs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Backup & Recovery >> Enabling VSS to protect VMs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enabling VSS to protect VMs - 5.Jul.2011 11:31:20 AM   
georgec

Quit recently I came across a simple procedure that helped create a backup scenario for a DC running AD DS on a Hyper-V host running Server Core and I would like to share it with you folks! I wanted to take regular snapshots of one VM that hosted the DC among other roles. With the built-in functionality of the VSS service I can rely on Previous Versions if I wanted to restore a previous version of a VM such as, the set of files that correspond to my DC virtual hard drive. Enabling VSS on the host server required me to use the vssadmin command as my installation is running Hyper-V Server Core. The drive on the server that hosts the virtual machines is the d: drive while I used drive e: to host the VSS snapshots. The following commands were needed to complete the task:

Vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=d: /on=e: /maxsize=6000mb
Vssadmin create shadow /for=d:
Post #: 1
RE: Enabling VSS to protect VMs - 28.Jul.2011 12:17:31 AM   
Scott Lowe

George,

Thank you for the excellent tip. This is also a good time to remind everyone reading this thread that you should never revert a DC to a snapshot. George's method works because he's not using snapshots - he's using the Microsoft supported VSS service. If you do revert a DC to a snapshot, you will probably have a really bad day as you corrupt your Active Directory environment.

Scott

(in reply to georgec)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Backup & Recovery >> Enabling VSS to protect VMs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!