• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Hyper-V Host NIC Configuration?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> Hyper-V Host NIC Configuration? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hyper-V Host NIC Configuration? - 11.Jul.2011 6:26:21 PM   
hermanf72

Hello everybody,

I have installed a clean installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 including the Hyper-V role. The server contains 2 physical network adapters.

What I try to acomplish is to setup a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM also using 2 nics. This server need to function as a TMG2010 server. So the VM will have a private NIC and a Public NIC (ISP). The Host should only have a private NIC.

The struggle here is that I don't know exactly how to configure the host NIC's. I have bound the Virtual Neworks called vprivate & vpublic to the corresponding physical NIC. On the host I see 4 NIC's. 2 physical and 2 virtual NIC's. The physical public interface should not get an IP from my ISP anymore via ISP because the vpuplic NIC on the TMG2010 VM should do that.

So, please can someone help me with setting up all those NIC's the right way?

Thanks and kind regards,
Herman F.
Post #: 1
RE: Hyper-V Host NIC Configuration? - 31.Jul.2011 5:51:51 PM   
Scott Lowe

I've been working on a TMG 2010 course for TrainSignal and am using Hyper-V for all of my lab scenarios. I've created the following:

* A "public" network. This network is the default Hyper-V network (in my lab, a 192.168.x.x IP address) an is connected to my router to the Internet.
* A private "internal" network not connected to any physical NIC. For testing, I've created additional virtual machines and attached their primary NICs to this virtual network.
* A private "DMZ"/"Perimeter" set up just like the internal network, but using a different IP address range.

If you wanted to be able to set this up with physical machines and just use Hyper-V for TMG, you'll need, as you have at least two NICs in your Hyper-V server and use one as the public and one as the internal.

I hope this helps a little.

Scott

(in reply to hermanf72)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> Hyper-V Host NIC Configuration? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!