Virtualization clarification (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General Virtualization Topics] >> Server Virtualization

anilkumar_sanjeev -> Virtualization clarification (31.Jul.2011 1:39:57 AM)

Would like to start a discussion to whats important for virtualiztion, should it be the number of cores on CPU or the CPU speed.
what CPU Presently in market is best suited for a test environment
AMD Phenom 6 core or a intel i5 quadcore

Scott Lowe -> RE: Virtualization clarification (31.Jul.2011 2:18:04 PM)

As far as processing itself goes, I believe that core count matters more than individual core speed. More cores equates to more VM density from a pure ratio perspective. We've been using 6 core Intel processors in our new vSphere hosts at work and they've worked extremely well (5600 series processors).

Scott

Scott Lowe -> RE: Virtualization clarification (18.Nov.2011 6:15:28 PM)

Were you able to get answers to the question that you had regarding cores vs. CPU speed?

Scott

mountainman -> RE: Virtualization clarification (9.Dec.2011 8:22:56 AM)

What I know is, it depends on more than just CPU speed and number of cores. But number of cores does not scale up exactly proportionally with performance. am i right Scott?

atc -> RE: Virtualization clarification (9.Dec.2011 1:24:35 PM)

To me virtualization is about sharing of resource and how we can automate the process.

Beside the processing power, access to storage and availability of the server is also important.

I think for CPU speed and # of cores, it will depend on what is running on the virtualized server.

mountainman -> RE: Virtualization clarification (20.Dec.2011 9:09:50 AM)

As server workloads vary, virtualization provides the ability for virtual machines that are over utilizing the resources of a server to be moved to underutilized servers. 

Scott Lowe -> RE: Virtualization clarification (29.Dec.2011 10:39:37 PM)

Absolutely! Workload means much more than pretty much anything when it comes to comfiguring a virtual machine. You don't want to under spec a virtual machine, but you don't want to waste resources, either. That said, CPU performance is generally the last resource to be fully consumed in a virtual environment - RAM and disk will get eaten up first.

Scott

mountainman -> RE: Virtualization clarification (9.Feb.2012 8:02:26 AM)

quote:

RAM and disk will get eaten up first.

Yes Scott, i will agree with you.

Scott Lowe -> RE: Virtualization clarification (12.Feb.2012 6:07:46 PM)

In a traditional server virtualization scenario, RAM will generally be the first resource to be exhausted. However, in VDI, keep a sharp eye on storage system performance as this is the first metric that is likely to get out of line because of the way that users interact with desktop PCs.

Scott

Page: [1]