• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can't see Windows 7 VM which is hosted on Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> Can't see Windows 7 VM which is hosted on Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't see Windows 7 VM which is hosted on Server - 21.Jan.2010 6:29:38 AM   
amitsaxena_it

Hi,

I deployed new W2k3 SP2 server and installed Virtual server 2005 SP1 on this server. After this i installed 3 VMs, 2 are windows XP and one is Windows 7 VM machine.

Now if i use VMRC client to access this server from any XP machine i can see two XP VM machine but i can see windows 7 VM.

But if i use my PC which has windows 7 OS installed , i can see all three VM from VMRC client.

Can any one help me to figure out this ?

Thanks

Amit Saxena
Post #: 1
RE: Can't see Windows 7 VM which is hosted on Server - 7.May2010 4:19:08 PM   
FriendyAnil

You probably have your virtual machines configured on a private virtual network between the virtual machines and the host (typically with NAT). Other machines on your LAN can't reach your virtual machines because they're behind a NAT router (implemented in software on the host).

What you have to configure to make it work depends on how you want it to work. Basically, solutions fall into two categories:

1) You can put the virtual machines on your physical network. To do this, change their network interfaces to interfaces bridged to the physical network interface. If you have a DHCP server on your network, they will then get their IP addresses from that server (unless you statically configure them inside the vm).

2) You can use the host machine as a router to route traffic to and from the virtual machines. To do this, you need to make sure other systems on your LAN know how to reach the virtual machines and you need routing enabled on the host machine.

If your network can support it, 1 is the simplest option. Your network can support it if it's a typical network with a router that assigns IP addresses to machines on your network. The solution may be as simple as:

A) Select the virtual machine in vmware when it's not running.
B) Double click on the network adapter (under devices).
C) Under 'Network Connection', select 'Bridged' (instead of NAT or 'Host only').
D) Start the virtual machine.
4life transfer factor
vibrationsplatte

(in reply to amitsaxena_it)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't see Windows 7 VM which is hosted on Server - 26.Oct.2011 7:27:12 AM   
NeilMcA

I think its critical to secure outward facing applications such as OWA, or sharepoint! We used deepnet security dualshield to lock down all our IIS7 applications as well terminal services, rdp and vpn connections etc. I would recommend deepnet security. Their dualshield platform will secure OWA, Sharepoint, terminal services, VPN's, RDP,s windows and mac logons, Linux Mac , WIndows etc all citrix products, cisco, 2x web connect, apache IIS6 & IIS7 windows logon etc with two factor authentication using hard and software tokens and biometrics etc. check out their website I think they offer the most comprehensive range of 2fa products around http://www.deepnetsecurity.com What I like about their product is the range of authentication methods, its way cheaper than RSA for example and is a unified platform for securing the entire range of IT functions and systems. I found products like RSA are dated and have been hacked and other solutions dont cover the entire range of corporate products like securing both citirx and cisco and internal logons etc. deepnet security (http://www.deepnetsecurity.com) secure all the products so you have a one stop solution and not countless little islands of stand alone solutions http://www.deepnetsecurity.com I would say your current methods are too complex, simply get basic sharepoint working then use a good third party product like deepnet to secure everything

Regards
Neil McAllister
Senior Network & Systems Security Architect

(in reply to young31)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> Can't see Windows 7 VM which is hosted on Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!