• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ESX Boot

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [VMware Virtualization] >> General >> ESX Boot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ESX Boot - 25.Oct.2011 12:50:37 AM   
learnmsexchange

Is it advisable to boot ESX from SAN? What are the limitations of booting ESX from SAN?

http://www.learnmsexchange.com
Post #: 1
RE: ESX Boot - 25.Oct.2011 4:07:05 AM   
Scott Lowe

If supported, SAN booting is often preferred over booting to a local host. Hosts can fail; your entire SAN probably won't. SAN booting makes it much easier to replace a failed host since you can simply point the new host at the SAN-based boot image.

However, some people prefer to maintain local boot and use the spare local storage as a way to back up some particularly important VMs. It really depends on your needs.

Scott

(in reply to learnmsexchange)
Post #: 2
RE: ESX Boot - 25.Oct.2011 1:55:49 PM   
atc

One limitation to boot from SAN is that the ESX cannot be using software iSCSI Initiator. 

Also, I think it is recommanded to have one image per LUN so if you have 5 host, you will need to have 5 LUN to boot from.  I am not sure about this part.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

(in reply to learnmsexchange)
Post #: 3
RE: ESX Boot - 28.Oct.2011 12:00:57 AM   
Scott Lowe

Atc,

Good point about the iSCSI software initiator. Do some newer server NICs include iSCSI boot capability or do you still need specialized iSCSI HBAs?

Scott

(in reply to atc)
Post #: 4
RE: ESX Boot - 20.Feb.2012 2:39:09 AM   
Montgomery

Great post,thanks for sharing with us,very good written also!

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 5
RE: ESX Boot - 22.Feb.2012 6:33:37 AM   
mountainman

I think most of the users do not use boot from SAN except for special situations like with blade servers that have no local disk available. Booting from SAN can be problematic and adds complexity to our hosts. There are also advantages to having local disk in our host servers, especially if you have a SAN failure.

Dell Virtualization is used to centralize administrative tasks, improve scalability and work loads. Dell Server Virtualization | Dell cloud storage

(in reply to Montgomery)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [VMware Virtualization] >> General >> ESX Boot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!