What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> Backup & Recovery

jharris -> What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (13.Apr.2010 1:28:15 PM)

Interested in learning how iSCSI works? Do you need to make a decision about proposing or buying an IP SAN based solution? Join us on Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 at 10am PST to find the answers to these challenging questions. We will present an overview of the features associated with iSCSI storage as well as discuss the cost effective advantages of purchasing an IP SAN based solution. During the webinar, you’ll learn:
  • iSCSI Fundamentals
  • Key differences between Fibre Channel SAN and IP SAN
  • How to allocate the proper IP SAN storage space
  • Advantages/Disadvantages of single controller vs high availability implemenations
  • Benefits of IP SAN appliances

plus2plus -> RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (28.Apr.2010 12:45:09 AM)

I'm not familiar with iSCSI, I know it's build in Windows Vista. The thing I want to do is to make my NAS to a iSCSI target, in the NAS I will make a partition (or some partitions) and present it to the iSCSI indikators.

My iSCSI indicators will be VMware ESX 3 server(s). The indicators will then look like a HBA to my servers and present at HD LUN.

I had been using freeNAS to do this in the parst and it did work well.
So I was thinking it may be posselbly to use the NAS-4220 in the same way.

Scott Lowe -> RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (1.Jul.2010 2:11:47 AM)

What kind of NAS device are you using?

Scott Lowe -> RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (1.Jul.2010 3:09:28 AM)

Also, iSCSI is not a Windows Vista technology, although Microsoft does support iSCSI in both Windows Vista and Windows 7.  iSCSI is basically a storage transport protocol like Fibre Channel, except simpler to deploy and it doesn't scale quite as well as Fibre Channel.

`ariel -> RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (1.Jul.2010 11:37:09 AM)

Since a few days i`m thinking of building a iSCSI for my little VMware lab (2 boxes) and i think that a comparative table of the top NAS OpenSource software available would  be cool. there are a few good articles about FreeNAS and OpenFiler but waht about Nexenta ? and a few others...

Scott Lowe -> RE: What You Need to Know When Buying iSCSI Storage (31.Jul.2011 6:15:29 PM)

I know this is an older post, but if you're still looking at ways to use iSCSI in a home lab, make sure to check out Microsoft's free iSCSI target software. The target complements the initiator by creating a virtual device to which the initiator can connect. We're actually using Microsoft's target for our Veeam backup at work. I like to keep my disk-based backup in a different building on campus, so we have a server in another building and connect the Veeam server to it over iSCSI. The Veeam server sits in the data center with a direct Fibre Channel connection to the SAN< but the Veeam backups are written over iSCSI to the target location.

Scott

Page: [1]