• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installing Hyper-V

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> Installing Hyper-V Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing Hyper-V - 5.Nov.2010 12:15:32 PM   
azler

I am new to virtualization and wanted to experiment with Microsoft's new Hyper-V product, I have two spare relatively good desktop computers i wanted to turn in to Hyper-V servers in a cluster.

They are HP dx2420 Tower pcs with 4Gb DDR2 ram, and a Intel Core 2 Duo E7400  2.8 Ghz processor and a 500 GB Hd in each.

I Download the product off the microsoft website and it all installed fine, i configured it and it all seemed t run great.
I then on my Windows 7 Computer installed the Hyper V tools to manage it again they installed great, However when i went to start a new virtual computer it game me the error that it failed because the computers does not support virtualization or the hardware assisted virtualization was turned off int he Bios.
After some research some of the E7400 do support intel VT and some do not and i have one that does not.

As this is only a test server is there anyway to bypass this so it will work?
I know there was a fix released to allow this on windows 7 computers trying to run Virtual XP.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Rob
Post #: 1
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 16.Nov.2010 4:37:12 AM   
georgec

Hi Rob,

The processor VT capability is the main requirement of virtualized environments, hence, I can't understand how you can do without it! For MS installations, I suggest you run this tool on the deployment machine/server - Microsoft Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool

(in reply to azler)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 17.Nov.2010 11:59:37 PM   
Scott Lowe

Azler -

As per Microsoft documentation (http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/system-requirements.aspx), you are not able to run Hyper-V on machines that do not support hardware assist (VT or AMD-V).

VMware ESXi, on the other hand, can run without VT, but you won't have 64-bit support without VT.

So, if you just want to do some general virtualization testing, consider ESXi. If, however, you really wanted to test Hyper-V, you need to get something that supports VT or AMD-V.

Scott

(in reply to azler)
Post #: 3
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 14.Dec.2010 1:33:00 AM   
Ase

Hi Guys,

Im in the same kind of situation with a PowerEdge 2850 that does not have VT support.

I would like to use this machine as a testserver to play with Hyper-V so I can learn it.
The other virtualization platforms allows to run 32-bit OS:s without VT capability and only 32-bit OS:s would be OK for my test scenario.
Is there any hidden tricks that allows install of Hyper-V role within Server 2008R2 without VT support?

In some forums I found info of people running the free Hyper-V Server "Core" on machines without VT but no one seems to be able to confirm if that is the case...

You are welcome with ideas, thanks.

//Ase

< Message edited by Ase -- 14.Dec.2010 2:43:36 AM >

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 4
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 16.Dec.2010 2:26:58 AM   
Scott Lowe

Ase,

You might be able to run Hyper-V itself, but you're not going to be able to get any VMs installed and running, so it won't be much use.

I've looked high and low and have yet to find a workaround. It's a technological limitation that it pretty tough to work around.

Scott

(in reply to Ase)
Post #: 5
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 21.Dec.2010 1:11:48 AM   
Ase

Thanks for Your reply Scott,

Any ideas on the first part of how to install the Hyper-V role without detecting if VT is present on not?

//Ase

< Message edited by Ase -- 21.Dec.2010 3:29:46 AM >

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 6
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 25.Dec.2010 3:01:42 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ase,

I'll let you know in a couple of days... I have a 2850 sitting in a closet that I can test with. Once I do, I'll let you know what I find.

Scott

(in reply to Ase)
Post #: 7
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 25.Dec.2010 3:24:29 PM   
Ase

Thanks Scott,

Looking forward for Your findings.

//Ase

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 8
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 28.Dec.2010 11:49:46 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ase,

Sorry to say it, but it looks like you're out of luck. I fired up a 2850 tonight and did some further research. None of the Nacona/Irwindale-based Xeon processors support VT for Hyper-V.

Wish I had better news for you!

Scott

(in reply to Ase)
Post #: 9
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 29.Dec.2010 1:17:52 AM   
Ase

Hi Scott,

Thanks for Your time and effort to help me.

//Ase

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 10
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 29.Dec.2010 11:58:55 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ase,

Just for kicks, I pulled out an old PowerEdge 750 server (we have a lot of old stuff in our closet... should probably eBay it all) - no go there, either. Pentium 4 2.8 GHz - no option for enabling VT.

Scott

(in reply to Ase)
Post #: 11
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 30.Dec.2010 1:40:38 AM   
Ase

Hi,

My first post was more about installing and running Hyper-V on machines without VT support. I try to explain my thoughts.
(I can have wrong facts, but this is what I think is correct)

- ESX/ESXi can run 32-bit OS:s without VT support.
- VMware Server/Workstation runs 32-bit OS:s without VT support.
- Windows XP mode in Windows 7 (built on VirtualPC) did need VT support at the beginning, but this requirement was removed because of all complaints.

So what I mean is: Does Hyper-V really rely on VT when virtualizing 32-bit OS:s or is it just a too high set requirement at the installation moment from MS?

//Ase

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 12
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 30.Dec.2010 4:09:10 AM   
Scott Lowe

Ase,

Ah! Now I see what you're saying. I completely misunderstoood. I still have that PowerEdge 2850 running in my lab. It will take just a couple of minutes tomorrow for me to test this and let you know what I find.

Scott

(in reply to Ase)
Post #: 13
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 9.Jan.2011 10:11:12 AM   
Ase

Hi Scott,

Have You had time to see if Hyper-V can be installed without Server Manager detecting if VT support is available or not?
(Been able to trick Server Manager to not check)

//Ase

< Message edited by Ase -- 9.Jan.2011 10:13:26 AM >

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 14
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 12.Jan.2011 7:20:38 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ase,

I was able to give it a shot on my 2850. No go. The Hyper-V role itself wouldn't even try to install and I've been unable to find a workaround.

Sorry!!!

Scott

(in reply to Ase)
Post #: 15
RE: Installing Hyper-V - 5.Feb.2011 9:35:18 AM   
Ase

Hi All,

Here is some new info on how to get further.

Try to run these two commands in the command prompt:

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V-Management-Clients

Even if the role gets installed OK and you can configure virtual machines, some of the services failes to start correctly because the lack of VT and the virtual machine fails to start.

//Ase

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> Installing Hyper-V Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!