• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Hot add RAM and CPU

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [VMware Virtualization] >> General >> Hot add RAM and CPU Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hot add RAM and CPU - 27.Dec.2010 11:54:27 PM   
Scott Lowe

I recently wrote a blog posting outlining the steps you need to take to enable VMware ESX/ESXi's ability to hot add RAM and virtual CPUs to a running virtual machine. Although VMware's compatibility documentation indicates that certain operating systems don't support hot plugging new CPUs, it appears to work for some of them anyway.

If you've successfully hot added RAM or CPU to a running virtual machine, respond to this post with your operating system, edition (standard, enterprise, etc), service pack level/kernel version, and architecture (32/64-bit). If enough people respond, I'll compile all of the results into a usable format and republish it.

Scott
Post #: 1
RE: Hot add RAM and CPU - 18.Feb.2011 6:58:57 PM   
JustinC71

Honestly I've only tried this with Server 2008 R2, but I'm sure most know that works.  I'd be interested to see a list if you get some responses though.

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 2
RE: Hot add RAM and CPU - 23.Feb.2011 12:23:23 AM   
Scott Lowe

I'd love to get some real-world information on this one and compile it into a comprehensive blog posting. So, if you know of anyone that's done this, point 'em here! :-)

Personally, I love hot add... makes it easy to be a bit conservative on resources at the front end and adjust as necessary.

Scott

(in reply to JustinC71)
Post #: 3
RE: Hot add RAM and CPU - 28.Feb.2011 9:17:24 PM   
Scott Lowe

All,

A caveat to the ability to hot add RAM and processors. First of all, your operating system has to support the hot add process. Second, you need to be running version 7 of the virtual hardware in vSphere. Version 4 hardware doesn't support hot add.

Scott

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 4
RE: Hot add RAM and CPU - 13.Oct.2011 9:38:20 PM   
shenglu

I just tried with Server 2008 R2, this, but I'm sure most people know that works. I am interested to see a list although if you get some response.

Gadgets | Flash Memory

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 5
RE: Hot add RAM and CPU - 21.Oct.2011 3:46:45 PM   
atc

Seems like only certain version of Linux can support cpu hot add.

I would like to know which works and which does not also.

(in reply to shenglu)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [VMware Virtualization] >> General >> Hot add RAM and CPU Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!