• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DNS Issue on Hyper V DC

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> DNS Issue on Hyper V DC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DNS Issue on Hyper V DC - 25.Jan.2011 9:07:00 AM   
ryanlashway

I have a physical box that has about 12 HyperV servers running on it, one of which is the Primary DC. Whenever a power cycle is done on the physical server (due to updates) the DNS does not come back up for about 30 minutes, any ideas ?

While the DNS is down the DHCP is also down, its a big issue that I am hoping is a simple fix.
Post #: 1
RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC - 27.Jan.2011 12:07:02 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ryan,

What is the physical configuration of the Hyper-V host?

Is there anything at all in the DC event logs that would point to any kind of DNS or network issue at startup time?

Scott

(in reply to ryanlashway)
Post #: 2
RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC - 27.Jan.2011 12:08:59 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ryan,

I just ran across this as well...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/08e107ea-49ae-4287-bae7-a1c8da1f2ab7

It has some pointers on what might cause slow DNS startup. I'd hesitate before I'd point at this being a Hyper-V problem as the virtualization layer is pretty transparent. I'd lean more toward this being some other configuration issue.

Scott

Post #: 3
RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC - 27.Jan.2011 2:05:37 PM   
ryanlashway

How is a member of the Domain with no real configuration set to it, just a Enterprise 2008 Server with Hyper-V running as a service. The DC is a virtual server located on this box and is the only DNS server we have. The DC also runs the DHCP scope.

Would a additional DNS server resolve this issue ?

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 4
RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC - 27.Jan.2011 11:02:52 PM   
Scott Lowe

Ryan,

It very well could. If this is a production environment, having a second DNS server (and a second domain controller) would be a best practice, anyway.

If you wanted to give it a try, you could just add the DNS role to one of your other machines as a test before you take the plunge and build a whole new server.

If you're able to fix the problem with a second DNS server, can you report back? I'd love to know if it fixes the problem.

Scott

Post #: 5
RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC - 31.Jan.2011 12:18:31 AM   
Scott Lowe

Ryan -

Were you able to test your second DC theory?

Scott

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General >> DNS Issue on Hyper V DC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!