DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General

ryanlashway -> DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (25.Jan.2011 9:07:00 AM)

I have a physical box that has about 12 HyperV servers running on it, one of which is the Primary DC. Whenever a power cycle is done on the physical server (due to updates) the DNS does not come back up for about 30 minutes, any ideas ?

While the DNS is down the DHCP is also down, its a big issue that I am hoping is a simple fix.

Scott Lowe -> RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (27.Jan.2011 12:07:02 PM)

Ryan,

What is the physical configuration of the Hyper-V host?

Is there anything at all in the DC event logs that would point to any kind of DNS or network issue at startup time?

Scott

Scott Lowe -> RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (27.Jan.2011 12:08:59 PM)

Ryan,

I just ran across this as well...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/08e107ea-49ae-4287-bae7-a1c8da1f2ab7

It has some pointers on what might cause slow DNS startup. I'd hesitate before I'd point at this being a Hyper-V problem as the virtualization layer is pretty transparent. I'd lean more toward this being some other configuration issue.

Scott

ryanlashway -> RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (27.Jan.2011 2:05:37 PM)

How is a member of the Domain with no real configuration set to it, just a Enterprise 2008 Server with Hyper-V running as a service. The DC is a virtual server located on this box and is the only DNS server we have. The DC also runs the DHCP scope.

Would a additional DNS server resolve this issue ?

Scott Lowe -> RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (27.Jan.2011 11:02:52 PM)

Ryan,

It very well could. If this is a production environment, having a second DNS server (and a second domain controller) would be a best practice, anyway.

If you wanted to give it a try, you could just add the DNS role to one of your other machines as a test before you take the plunge and build a whole new server.

If you're able to fix the problem with a second DNS server, can you report back? I'd love to know if it fixes the problem.

Scott

Scott Lowe -> RE: DNS Issue on Hyper V DC (31.Jan.2011 12:18:31 AM)

Ryan -

Were you able to test your second DC theory?

Scott

Page: [1]