Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Virtualization] >> General

hermanf72 -> Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (4.Apr.2011 8:29:07 AM)

Hello Everybody,

Installed Hyper-V management console on my Windows 7 x64 box. when I start Hyper-V management the following error occurs;

"Cannot connect to the RPC service on computer <Hyper-V Server>. Make sure your RPC service is running."

I have search through Google. But all the sollutions did not work for me :-(

Anybody who can help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Herman Franssen

Scott Lowe -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (16.Apr.2011 1:23:11 AM)

Herman,

A couple of questions up front:

Is the Windows 7 machine domain joined to the same domain to which the Hyper-V hosted are joined or are things all standalone?

Are there firewalls running anywhere -- on the Windows 7 machine or the Hyper-V host?

scott

hermanf72 -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (16.Apr.2011 5:22:35 AM)

Hi Scott,

Windows 7 is indeed a domain member of the Server 2008. And yes on the Server there is TMG2010 running. That was also the problem.

On the TMG I disabled the RPC filter. After that all is working perfect.

Maybe this isn't the best solution. So if yah have any better solutions let me know....

Thanks for your reply,
Herman Franssen

Scott Lowe -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (25.Apr.2011 8:37:59 PM)

Herman,

I'm not sure I would be able to do better than that. Are you missing any necessary functionality now that you have your solution in place?

Scott

hermanf72 -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (26.Apr.2011 7:01:05 AM)

Scott,

As far as I can oversee the situation right now, everything is still working very well!

Honestly I have to admit that I am not aware of the function of RPC filters.

cheers,
Herman Franssen

Scott Lowe -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (26.Apr.2011 10:34:54 AM)

Herman,

Not sure what you know/don't know, so please forgive me if some of this is basic.  RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call and is a method by which a program executes a process on another computer.  This has obvious security implications which is where TMG comes in.  TMG's RPC filter monitors this communication for potential security issues to make it safer to publish certain applications that might rely on RPC communication in order to operate.

Scott

hermanf72 -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (26.Apr.2011 11:26:27 AM)

Thanks Scott for the explination.

chanelbags -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (7.Jul.2011 3:14:05 AM)

ghd
Rettetang
Chanel Online

georgec -> RE: Hyper-V Remote management RPC error. (7.Jul.2011 9:10:59 AM)

Usually RPC errors are somehow related to DNS misconfigurations and when a machine is not register with an internal DNS host, you fail to connect remotely using hostnames and start getting RPC error messages. As a test you may try setting the IP address of your Hyper-V host in your Windows 7 hosts file.

Page: [1]