Refurbished servers - worth it for you? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General Virtualization Topics] >> Supporting Infrastructure

Scott Lowe -> Refurbished servers - worth it for you? (30.Apr.2011 4:23:29 PM)

I make liberal use of refurbished Dell PowerEdge blade servers and get tremendous discounts for very well-equipped systems with twelve processor cores, 96 GB RAM and more.  These systems carry the same warranty as new ones and, so far (and after ten years of buying like this), I have yet to be disappointed.

Do any of you use refurbished hardware as a cost savings measure?  Have you had good luck?

georgec -> RE: Refurbished servers - worth it for you? (7.Jul.2011 9:18:24 AM)

Back in the day, I used to get some refurbished high-end PowerEdges and could not complain however, I don't recall that they had the same warranty conditions as new ones!

Scott Lowe -> RE: Refurbished servers - worth it for you? (28.Jul.2011 12:09:01 AM)

George,

When you buy a Dell refurb'd server now, you get an 8x5xNBD 3 year warranty that you can uplift to any of Dell's other warranty products, such as 24x7, etc. It's a pretty nice arrangement.

Scott

kathiny -> RE: Refurbished servers - worth it for you? (14.Oct.2011 12:04:52 AM)

Refurbished computers (direct from the company) should be just as good as a new computer. They have the same warranties, etc. There may be scratches on the casing or they have had components replaced. Just make sure that the computer still meets the specifications that you need.

Scott Lowe -> RE: Refurbished servers - worth it for you? (28.Oct.2011 12:06:43 AM)

Good point; if anything's changed radically, it could create problems.

Scott

Page: [1]