• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Virtualization Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Eliminating Full Screen Programs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Application Virtualization] >> General >> Eliminating Full Screen Programs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 8.Jun.2011 4:42:58 PM   
cherylcox

System Background: We recently switched to a "remote environment" for our 18 machine, 2 location business. We run terminal services off of a centralized server and use remote desktop to access the remote programs on our individual machines.

Problem: For some users, but not all, when they open a remote program (MS Word for example) on their local machine, the program takes over the entire screen including the taskbar at the bottom. I've made sure the taskbar is set to "always on top" and locked it down. Not sure why it's doing this. It makes switching between applications particularly frustrating as we must downsize one before opening another.

Is there a way to resolve this issue? I assume there must be since some users machines do this, and others do not. Does not seem to be OS dependant either (i.e. Win 7 machines with the same version of remote desktop will act differently).

Cheryl
Post #: 1
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 11.Jun.2011 4:35:18 PM   
Scott Lowe

Cheryl,

I'm assuming you're using RemoteApp since it sounds like you're opening programs on a per-application basis rather than using a full desktop. Is that an accurate assumption?

Each RDP file associated with an app should have a setting that tells it how to open the application - full screen or a fixed size.

Do the different computers have identical hardware configurations? In particular, are the monitors the same size on all systems?

Scott

(in reply to cherylcox)
Post #: 2
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 13.Jun.2011 1:13:59 PM   
cherylcox

You assume correct! We use .rdp files on the local desktop... they open with "RemoteApp". I'm not seeing how to get to the settings for each program though... when i double click the icon it opens straight to the program as opposed to giving me a screen with settings options.

Perhaps it's because I have set my credentials to save, so it's bypassing a screen I need?

As for the hardware settings, the staff who is having trouble has an identical set-up to mine, and it's acting differently (both on Win 7 x64 pro, Office 2007, Lenovo Thinkpad with same size screen)

Thanks for your help!

Cheryl

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 3
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 9.Aug.2011 8:24:53 AM   
Tanel

I too am experiencing this most annoying behavior. It doesn't seem all that unusual - yet no one has indicated having found a workaround. So I'm going through all the related forum threads hoping someone will post a helpful update.

Here are the forum threads regarding the same issue:
Applications open full screen via RemoteApp (hides taskbar on Windows 7): http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/5d791714-4b75-4ece-8071-8c072182dddd
Taskbar hidden by application window: http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/t/25861.aspx
Eliminating Full Screen Programs: http://forums.virtualizationadmin.com/m_967/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#972

On the Citrix-side of things this seems to have been an issue as well, there it has been fixed with various hotfixes:
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX821811
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX114717
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX667077

So, with that said, has anyone found a solution yet?

< Message edited by Tanel -- 9.Aug.2011 8:34:25 AM >

(in reply to cherylcox)
Post #: 4
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 30.Aug.2011 11:11:27 PM   
Scott Lowe

Cheryl,

I've been looking into this and am stumped... I've read through a number of articles on the topic and it looks like the RDP session ignores the width and height even when specified in the RDP file. That said, I'm going to keep looking.

Scott

(in reply to cherylcox)
Post #: 5
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 1.Sep.2011 5:57:33 AM   
Tanel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott Lowe

Cheryl,

I've been looking into this and am stumped... I've read through a number of articles on the topic and it looks like the RDP session ignores the width and height even when specified in the RDP file. That said, I'm going to keep looking.

Scott

I'm glad someone is looking at this. So I take it as you've tried this out yourself and that you confirm the behaviour?

Please get back to us with your findings, that would be greatly appreciated!

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 6
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 25.Sep.2011 2:59:42 PM   
Tanel

quote:

Cheryl,

Scott

Scott, did you by any chance look further into this? If so, any findings you care to share?

Thank you in advance!

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 7
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 2.Oct.2011 11:52:10 PM   
Scott Lowe

Tanel,

I did look into it; my apologies for not reporting back sooner. I tested, poke and prodded by lab system and am simply unable to get a configuration in place that corrects this issue.

I wish I could be of more help!

Scott

(in reply to Tanel)
Post #: 8
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 7.Oct.2011 6:49:54 AM   
Tanel

quote:

Tanel,

I did look into it; my apologies for not reporting back sooner. I tested, poke and prodded by lab system and am simply unable to get a configuration in place that corrects this issue.

I wish I could be of more help!

Scott

Thank you for getting back Scott, much appreciated!

Sorry to hear you poking around didn't lead to much. Would it be safe to assume that this is to be considered a bug in mstsc.exe? If so, you don't happen to have any contacts within MS that would be interested at having a go at this?

All the best,
Tanel

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 9
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 30.Oct.2011 10:37:01 PM   
Scott Lowe

Tanel,

I'm not sure it's a bug, but it certainly seems to be a missing feature. I do have a couple of people at Microsoft I will ping to see if they might know something. It does seem like something simple to correct!

Scott

(in reply to Tanel)
Post #: 10
RE: Eliminating Full Screen Programs - 31.Oct.2011 9:04:24 AM   
Tanel

Hello Scott,

You might be right. Either way, lets hope any of your contacts at Microsoft think this should be fixed. As it is now, RemoteApp is of limited use. Thanks for pulling some strings on this! :-)

All the best,
Tanel

(in reply to Scott Lowe)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Application Virtualization] >> General >> Eliminating Full Screen Programs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Receive all the latest articles by email!

Receive Real-Time & Monthly VirtualizationAdmin.com article updates in your mailbox. Enter your email below!

Become a VirtualizationAdmin.com member!

Discuss all your Virtualization issues with thousands of other experts. Click here to join!